Professor Laurence Brockliss
Professor of Early Modern French History
Professor Brockliss works on the history of education, science and medicine in early modern France and Britain and has a general interest in the history of European ideas.
- French Higher Education in the Seventeenth and Eighteenth Centuries: A Cultural History. (Oxford, 1987)
- (ed. with Joseph Bergin), Richelieu and His Age . (Oxford, 1992)
- (with C Jones), The Medical World of Early Modern France. (Oxford, 1997) 960pp.
- (ed. with D Eastwood), A Union of Multiple Identities: The British Isles, c. 1750-c. 1850 . (Manchester, 1997) 222pp.
- (ed. with JH Elliott), The World of the Favourite . (New Haven and London, 1999) 320pp.
- Calvet's Web. Enlightenment and Republic of Letters in Eighteenth Century France. (Oxford, 2002) 471pp.
- 'Harvey, Torricelli and the institutionalization of new ideas in seventeenth-century France' in Wissenideale und Wissenkulturen in der fruhen Neuzeit (ed. Wolfgang Dettel and Clauz Zittel), (Berlin, 2002) pp. 115-134
- 'Professioni liberali e professioni techniche' in Revoluzione scientifica. Storia della Scienza, vol. 5 (ed. Sandro Petruccioli), (Rome, 2002) pp. 155-171
Research Interests and Activities