HIERARCHY AND POWER IN THE HISTORY OF CIVILIZATIONS
Centers of History and Cultural Anthropology and for Civilizational and Regional Studies of the Institute for African Studies, Russian Academy of Sciences, and the School of History, Political Science and Law of the Russian State University for the Humanities are organizing in Moscow on June 23-26, 2009 the Fifth International Conference "HIERARCHY AND POWER IN THE HISTORY OF CIVILIZATIONS".
All the Conference events except culture program will take place on the Russian State University for the Humanities main campus.
The working languages of the Conference are Russian and English.The Organizing Committee has considered all the panel proposals received by it. The descriptions of the accepted proposals please find below.
The aim of the Conference, like that of the four previous ones, is to bring together the researchers doing the respective problematics in the whole variety of its contexts, within the framework of different academic schools and traditions from the positions of a wide range of disciplines: social anthropology, archaeology, history, political science, sociology, philosophy, psychology, etc.
The objective of the Conference is to discuss the following issues:
- hierarchical and net structures in the history of cultures and civilizations;
- civilizational and evolutionary models of socio-political development;
- historical and ethno-cultural variability of the forms of socio-political organization;
- from simple societies to the world-system: pathways and forms of political integration;
- socio-political and cultural-mental factors of social transformations;
- cultural and socio-biological foundations of dominance in human societies;
- ideology and legitimation of power in different civilizational contexts;
- cultural models of power's perception in different civilizations;
- violence and non-violence in the history of political institutions;
- access to information as a means of political manipulation and mobilization;
- power, society, and culture in the era of globalization;
- the study of “hierarchy and power”: schools, trends, and methods.
PANELS ACCEPTED FOR THE CONFERENCE (In the alphabetical order of titles):
Aggression and Power Control in Traditional and Industrial SocietiesConvenor: Prof. Marina Butovskaya
Analyses of Cultural Evolution Prof. Herbert Barry III
Cases of Records: The Concept of Written Evidence within the Context of a Socio-Cultural Hierarchy (Source Studies, Historical Anthropology, and Interpretation of the History of the Document from Antiquity to Renaissance) Dr.Nadejda A.Selounskaia
Civilization and State in Africa in History and at Present: Becoming and Disintegration Factors (Values and Law, Economy and Politics) Prof. Anatoliy D. Savateev
Culture as a Major Factor in Relations between States and People Dr. John A. Taylor
Despotism in the History of Civilizations Prof. Leslie Gunawardana
From Simple Societies to the World-System. Pathways and Forms of Political Integration Dr. Daniel Smihula
and so on .